Friday, December 28, 2007

I Didn't Mean to Stop Blogging

. . .it just sort of happened. Once you get out of a habit, it's a lot harder to get back on track.

Recently I've been struggling a lot with how my husband and I spend our money. There are so many things that we want to do, that we can afford to do. But each of these little things that we do gets in the way of my larger goal of early retirement (it should be noted that my husband does not share the same goal of early retirement and is afraid that I'll bug him all day at work if I retire early).

One of the main issues is that our goals are so murky and undefined. Yes, we're saving a lot of money (we make almost the same amount of money and we save the equivalent of one after tax salary) and the money goes to retirement, emergency fund, and our down payment fund. However, we've never calculated how much we would need for me to retire early (and become the primary caretaker of our future kids). We've only done rough calculations on a home purchase (we know the max we could pay for a house and the max we want to pay for a house).

For 2008, I hope to get more defined goals, especially around how I'm going to progress towards early retirement (for me, early retirement means that I will be able to work at something I love, not just something I like, with the flexibility to quit whenever I want).

C and I are off for a vacation for this upcoming weekend, but expect to see more posts in early January, including a post where I define some goals and talk about how I did on my goals from 2007.

2 comments:

ChampDog said...

Good luck to you and happy new year! Hope you will have more defined goals in 2008.

Chitown said...

Welcome back to blogging. I thought you were gone for good for a while.