Monday, March 16, 2009

Work Like No One Else . . .

I haven't been posting much lately since I've been so busy at work. This past weekend, I could barely get out of my pajamas. I did manage to leave the house everyday, not in my PJs. I've been on the road, waking up early (even earlier for me since I'm in an earlier time zone), getting back to the hotel late, and feeling ill from poor eating habits.*

There's quite a few reasons that I'm working so hard, but I'm reminded by that Dave Ramsey quote, "Live like no one else, so later, you can live like no one else."

Now I'm working a lot more than others so that I can be successful in my career. I am able to build on the foundation of success for the future when I don't have as much free time, such as when I have a family. Most of my friends cannot believe the travels that I must endure on certain projects (wake up Monday at 4 am, work full day, back home on Thursday at 10 pm) or how I always feel like I need to be "on call" for work.

It's the same premise that a lot of doctors go through. They work insane hours in residency in order to have a much more lucrative and stable occupation in the future. I think the skills, experiences, and relationships I'm gaining now will serve me well in the future. For that I am grateful.

"*One good thing about being on the road is that I eat out so much, the thought of eating out on the weekends disgusts me. I never thought that would happen to me, but when there's little choice but to eat out 16 times / week, it's no longer something to be savored. Four of the meals are Starbucks or other similar coffee shops. Four of the meals are gross cafeteria meals (even the salad is wilted and tired looking). The other four meals are dinners, often eaten late, without a lot of healthy choices.

0 comments: