Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Making it a Habit

I am a big believer that the more you do something, the easier it becomes. Sadly blogging has not made it into my habits, thus I find it hard to find time and motivation to blog. I have a lot to write about, what I am lacking is the motivation to put my thoughts together in a coherent fashion. Once I start writing I find that I start diverging. While stream of consciousness writing might have worked for Virginia Woolf in To The Lighthouse, I think today's readers are looking for quick and concise posts with a clear purpose.

Managing your life and managing your finances becomes much easier when it's a habit. Financial management can become even easier if you subscribe to the "auto-pilot" method with automated 401K savings, automated other savings, automated bill pay, etc. I have almost everything in my financial life automated except:
-credit card payment (I don't auto pay this since I want to make sure I review it every month, but I do get email reminders and pay it online)
- tithing (I tried asking my church for auto-debit, but it hasn't happened yet)
- Roth IRA investment (I wasn't sure if DH and I would exceed or get to the income limits this year)
- Some investment (We have some automated monthly investment into the S&P 500 and our retirement accounts, but sometimes we buy other stock/bond/mutual fund/ETF investments)

I love living in a clean house, but I hate organizing and cleaning. So I'm going to try and make it a habit to clean something small everyday, work on getting used to doing that one or two task(s), and build upon that.

2 comments:

Barbara Stanny said...

You are so on the money, calgirl! Automated is the best way to go. You don't need to even think about saving. And you don't miss what you don't see!

Barbara Stanny, author of "Prince Charming Isn't Coming: How Women Get Smart About Money."

calgirlfinance said...

Thanks for the comment Barbara! I couldn't do it without the automated savings